Monday, November 26, 2007

#23 Thoughts about Learning 2.0



Well, here we are - George and me at the end point! So . . . what next? We couldn't resist just a tiny "borrow" of this cartoon from the New Yorker but it's not what we have decided to do. We might continue to blog/bark away happily to ourselves - unworried that amidst the loud and continuing woofing on the web, these two dogs will ever be heard. Most diarising is for oneself after all.

However, we agree that now we are through to the end, we haven't been barking up the wrong tree. And to mix a few more metaphors, it is a case of not drowning, waving after all. We are glad we have done this - maybe we are a long way from being afficionados in this wild world, but we discovered a lot more about a number of new technologies and can see the potential for some of these in the work environment. For example:
  • We are already finding a place for wikis
  • there's junk on Flickr but gems within it too
  • people tagging shows the need for this huge body of information to be organised "somehow" (and as a wayback cataloguer, I am grateful for structures and metadata); but from Zoe's and Kirstie's presentation on the new world of federated search solutions, which includes the tagging concept, it's clearly something that we cannot simply dismiss
  • I located some great ABC podcasts and have subscribed to the SLV Creative Fellows ones (and was disappointed to find that Chloe Hooper's talk wasn't there) - I can see how and why people love this.
  • I was really impressed by the quick look I had at the Zoho suite of applications - Writer, spreadsheets etc. These must be useful in the reading rooms.
  • There are some good library/technology-related blogs out there written by people who have a much sounder grasp (read, intelligently reflective) than I do of which "things" might move or morph into something we need to watch.
Other thoughts? It has been more of a marathon than the '23 things' ads would have us believe - the whole exercise was much more than the suggested 20-30 minutes a week. It's stating the bleeding obvious to say that I guess it depends on your knowledge base to start with. So that's one learning - and I can imagine it might have been quite difficult for part-timers to fit this into their working week.

But there are definite opportunities here. I think we have to be thoughtful about the ones we embrace, and be open and recognise that it will continue this way. I'm sure there'll be 23 more thngs any time soon! As a last thought, perhaps next year, we could have some sessions in the training room on things which could be useful to us individually or helpful in the work environment.

3 comments:

The Learning 2.0 Program said...

Congratulations on completing the Learning 2.0 program. I hope you find some of the technologies useful to you in the future.

Lynette

elephants parading said...

Yes, Doggerel well done.
Glad you saw yourself to the end of the program.
I too found the program much more time consuming than envisaged, even allowing for when I indulged and followed link upon link, past and beyond an original article or site.
Heartened though, with what I had learnt and seeing some applications for both internal and external use at the SLV.
Yes, 'training' or workshops in 08 about Learning 2.0, helping those who haven't to complete the program and investigating how we may best utilise our new individual and collective knowledge.
Regards

Jane W said...

Congratulations on completing the tasks. I have enjoyed applying some of the Swinburne 23 things into Information Literacy classes this term.

I am using a slideshow created in flickr that gives a virtual tour of the library when I present, as part of large group Orientation, for business and art students. I also used a virtual tour of my own apartment when I was looking for a new house mate.

In some environments I am an early adopter but until 23 things came along I had never even used a digital camera.

I will teach del.icio.us in any class that involves bookmarking. So many of our students use multiple computers on campus. It is possible for them to bookmark in the student module but once they depart from Swinburne they will need to migrate their bookmarks elsewhere. More efficient to start in del.icio.us.